Ordbod Hardon build

I build my Ordbot back in December 2012, having been inerested in 3D printing for a few years. I liked the concept of the original Reprap’s, but to be honest I was a little put of by how fragile they looked, and I had some concerns about the slop they may have

Upon seeing a Ordbot Hadron at the hackerspace however, I was impressed. It is made out of Makerslide, and at the time in 2012 was far more rigid than other models I had seen.

I bought a Ordbot kit, a reprapdiscount RAMPS1.4 electronics set, and a Wades Extruder kit to round out the basics.

Ramps 1.4 kit

Assembly was interesting - There wasnt a heck of a lot of documentation, and I found myself looking at the engineering drawings and a whole bunch of forum posts of similar builds.

I spend a few days on the frame assembly. To be neat and tidy it seemed quite a few people drilled out holes in the frame to run cables in, which I proceeded to do.

Ordbot with assembled frame

After assembling the frame and running the stepper motor cables inside the frame, I took to wiring the eletronics.

Originally I had the Arduino/RAMPS combo bolted to the frame as below, which I later moved into its own case with fan to help with cooling the steppers. At the time, I didnt realise how much active cooling they required!

Ordbot with RAMPS wiring completed

Calibration was also a challenge, as was bed ahesion. Printing PLA on glass was all the rage in 2012, but I could never get it to stick well. Blue painters tape ended up being my goto.

Early prints from my Ordbot Handron

It wasn’t until late 2015 until I completed Rev.2 of the Ordbot - upgraded with a Bulldog Extruder, E3D v6 hotend, printed case + fan for the RAMPS and a Full Graphic display for the LCD.

Rev.2 of my Ordbot Hadron printer, with printed case for RAMPS and full graphic display

The bulldog was far superiord to the printed wades, and the E3D hoten was amazing compared to the hotend I started with (Which I cant ever recall what it was now)

Later came a Raspi 3 with Octoprint, and a printed case for it which got tacked onto the back of the case. Having never designed the rear of the case for the amount of gear I was now trying to put in, I honestly never managed to get it neat and tidy. “Working” became a goal.

That said, after plenty of tuning, fiddling with the Marlin firmware, etc… I was able to get decent prints from it.

Ordbot 3d print

It got some decent use - such as the 80 sculpture peices I did for a friend’s wedding, as well as the love heart train carts I did for my step-daughters birthday, so during the arts and crafts activities we could have a moving train delivering the glitter and pens to everyone.

Ordbot 3d print

However, with the arrival of the Prusa MK3s in the household, it is now fully dismantled, awaiting its upgrade to Rev3.

Updated:

Leave a Comment